Adventure Riding is one of the most demanding applications for motorcycle clothes. They have to perform in many different and often contradictory conditions. They need to be 100% waterproof without the ridiculous habit of requiring a vinyl overcoat, yet they need to be able to breath in warm weather. They have to be able to withstand impact with rocks, tarmac and whatever the road brings your way, yet they have to be in a relatively light so that you can wear them comfortably for 11+ hours per day – every day.
This year we have both switched from the KLiM Adventure Rally to the KLiM Badlands and our thoughts are very positive. The new Badlands feels very light, lighter than the old Badlands Pro and much lighter than the Adventure Rally. As a matter of fact you feel very impressed and puzzled with such a weight difference.
The D3O T5 EVO Pro XT protective pads are smaller in thickness that the Adventure Rally’s equivalent XERGO pads, but they remain thick enough to provide you with the necessary protection. After all they are bigger than anything else provided in the market today (except of the ones used at the Adventure Rally).
In this new Badlands, KLiM added Superfabric (since only the Adventure Rally used to feature it). This stuff really works! I took a 80+km tarmac slide on my Adventure Rally and after I washed it, I could not see any scrape marks on it at all. Crazy stuff.
Ventilation is an area that the Badlands surpasses the Adventure Rally (and the previous Badlands Pro). It’s not just the number of vents, but the position that they are placed and the extra room you have inside the suit in comparison with a same size Adventure Rally. They just work fantastic. Even the side intake vents of the pant, though they look the same, bring much more air inside the pants. Yes, this is a Mediterranean-hot-summer Adventure Suit as well!
Hydration wise, like the old model’s there is an internal dedicated back-pocket to add a hydration bladder and works great, but if you have used the Adventure Rally’s external hydration pocket + internal harness for weigh distribution, you kind of miss it when you add more than 1,5lt (max is 3lt).
Fit is way better than the previous Badlands Pro and you could even describe it as “European Fit”. Feels comfortable even when you wear it all day long.
The Perfect Suit
If you had to find the perfect Adventure Suits, the one that is protective but not over-built, tough but also light, totally waterproof but breathable, this would be the one. If you could only have one suit for everything, from Adventure to Off-road to Touring riding and everything in-between, this would be it. And the reason is:
- it features big protective armor without being overkill
- it is 100% weatherproof without sacrificing breath-ability
- it features heavy-duty fabrics like the Superfabric without being heavy
- it is full of features without being too flashy
- it features kidney belt and chest protector for when you might need them
- it features increased low-light visibility without the need to use Hi-Vis colors
- it has more venting ports than you can remember
- it is backed up by KLiM’s legendary name and warranty
In order to be a real World Traveler, your gear must be ready for anything.
- improved comfort and fit
- new Gore-Tex® 3-layer pro shell material on main body reduces weight without sacrificing durability/weatherproofness
- Gore-Tex® 3-layer pro shell talisman superfabric® abrasion-resistant material on shoulders, elbows and forearm shrug off abrasion
- easier hydration bladder access
- jacket-to-pant zipper has been standardized (40cm) which enables users to zip different new pants and jackets together
- new collar fit for greater coverage and comfort
- collar can snap back to allow for more ventilation
- custom tpu zipper pulls, pocket flap grips and zipper garages
- hypalon headphone access port
- shortened wrist gaiter for increased comfort
- additional venting ports on outer chest—10 ports total
- improved cuff material resists wear
- arm vent storm flaps feature a more secure closure and opening system while providing higher levels of weatherproof construction
- improved venting via easier-to-access side chest ports and lower body vents
- refined armor placement and new exterior adjustment straps keep limb armor in place
- guaranteed to keep you Dry®
- Gore-Tex® 3-layer pro laminate technology
- Gore-Tex® pro laminates—the most breathable, most durable motorsports shell construction available
- high-mobility active fit patterning for unmatched comfort
- Gore-Tex® 3-layer pro shell material on main body
- Gore-Tex® 3-layer pro shell talisman superfabric® abrasion-resistant material on shoulders, elbows and forearm
- Gore-Tex® 3-layer pro shell armacor™ material on back, chest and waist pockets
- pre-curved arm and rider positioning construction
- Gore-Tex® stretch back/shoulder panels minimize restriction of movement
- 3M scotchlite™ industrial grade reflective materials on panels and trim for increased low-light visibility
- Velcro® brand fasteners adjustable wrist closures
- forearm and bicep sleeve adjustment straps
- vt10 YKK® Vislon® aquagard water resistant zippers
- D3O™ T5 Evo pro XT elbow and shoulder pieces included (exceed level 1 ce certification for pren1621-1:2011 testing)
- D3O™ Viper pro back piece (exceeds level 2 ce certification for en1621-2 testing)
- siliconized spacer mesh front chest armor
- adjustable armor pockets for refined armor placement
- 7 external pockets* [2 chest, 2 waist, spot pocket on left chest, id/licence pocket on left forearm one large storage pocket on exterior back]
- four internal pockets + one hidden interior passport pocket [2 zippered, 2 mesh stash, 1 hidden)
- waterproof internal pocket
- hydration bladder compartment and internal hose route (bladder not included)
- removable and adjustable kidney belt jacket-stabilizing support system
- bottom hem adjustment
- jacket-to-pant zipper integration system
- 4 sleeve adjustment straps
- lined comfort collar
- moisture-wicking mesh comfort liner
- velcro® wrist closures
- key fob: yellow clip attached to shock cord in top of chest pockets
- 2 chest, 2 side, 2 biceps and 2 forearm intake vents
- 2 vertical back exhaust vents
* More information about KLiM Badlands here